[TToI Online Game Support] Releasing Zips
Pork Chop Pough : July 29, 2008 03:06 PM

While recently going through New York City, I noticed that several zip codes are occupied by the Utica College Unladen Swallows.

This is a team that has never played a game and hasn't added a zip code since Jan. 16, so I think it's safe to say that they aren't actively participating. Would there be a general consensus for removing teams like this from the game and freeing up the zip codes that they occupy?

I realize that most teams in that situation don't have a lot of zip codes anyway, but they may have some desirable zips... and I doubt that any active owners like seeing that unanswered challenge sitting there for a week either.

I would suggest an inactive period of something like 90 days, but would be fine with the exact number being something different. I can understand people taking long trips or simply becoming busy and forgetting about the site for awhile, but still sincerely wanting to rejoin the game, so... a month or so would be understandable. However, if someone hasn't touched their team in 3 months, I think it's safe to assume they aren't coming back.

Having someone actively keep tabs on participation would be tedious, but if we have a policy in place, it would be something we could all keep an eye out for... come across a team that you're pretty sure is inactive, and you can give a heads up to the administrator. Anyway, just wondering what others thought.

- Pork Chop

ripper : July 29, 2008 03:36 PM

The subject heading made me think some Akron "Zips" had been taken hostage (probably be the hooligans from Kent State) and were finally being released.

Anyway, I like the general idea of releasing zip codes owned by inactive owners - however, I would prefer to force people to accept a challenge after the 10 day period (an option to reject a challenge could be added so that if it hasn't been accepted or rejected by that point in time it would default to accepted). I prefer this option since rather than just releasing zip codes and requiring people to watch for delinquent accounts, you still have to "win" the zip code, even if it is from a default owner..

jcarwash31 : September 23, 2008 05:33 PM

I think something should be done regarding this. I just realized that the Mighty Minnows haven't been on in a month, so I have a couple challenges that are going unanswered. I kind of like the idea of forcing an accept with the added reject option.

Another thought I had was that if you don't accept a challenge after 7 days (or it could be extended to 10 or something) the odds algorithm could be put to work for the challenger just like if he/she had moved to an empty zip. This would give the challenger a chance to get the zip and would allow the challengee to hold on to some zips if they ever sign back on.

For that to work, I think you would need to add some kind of vacation mode so if someone knows they will be away for a while they can put themselves on vacation and not lose any zips. It could notify any challengers that they are on vacation and save the challenges for when they get back.

_rcc94_ : September 23, 2008 10:51 PM

Hey - I'm on. I just hate losing games (I win about 1 of every 10 these days), so I've stopped accepting challenges over 20,000 residents as I can't pick up that many in a day to replace the lost fans.

I accepted yours today and promptly lost 11-0. Painful.

So I agree with adding the decline option, so people know that I'm not ignoring them, I'm just chicken. :D

jcarwash31 : September 24, 2008 09:27 AM

Oh, sorry. Your last visit says 8-27, so I thought you weren't on anymore.

franco : September 24, 2008 09:30 AM

Those changes will be coming. Unfortunately, I don't have as much free time as I used to.... but it is in the works.

_rcc94_ : September 24, 2008 10:07 PM

Maybe 8-27 was my last log on, as I don't log out.

Reply (You must be logged in)

Click here to log in