[Fantasy Baseball] Barns and storms and things...
Ford Fricks Asterisk : January 22, 2008 02:36 PM

After exploring every darkside of Memphis, the Yellow Hammers are heading for LIttle Rock. Flem Snopes and the boys will then attempt to be the first team to explore Texas. It's a little odd that Flem manages a barnstorming team, when the Snopes have always been known for burning barns rather than storming them.

The Loserings stayed true to their name... being cursed the second they hit DC. After failing to win over the locals in several crossroads towns as they trekked across the Appalachians on their trip towards the Capitol, their Frickin' GM started burning through the waiver wire with no luck at actually improving the team. Whiskeytown is now wandering the streets of DC broke and dejected, but hoping they'll change their luck in Charm City by the end of the week.

# of edits: 1
Last edited: January 22, 2008 02:38 PM

Ford Fricks Asterisk : January 22, 2008 03:04 PM

One day the Loserings will get Intercourse. For now they've settled for Left Hand.

Flem Snopes : January 24, 2008 01:19 PM

Well, the Rippers have certainly beaten the Yellow Hammers to the state of Texas, but Yoknapatawpha's upgrade from the mule team to the Winton Flyers has still made the travelling quite a bit easier.

The Loserings have arrived in Baltimore after capturing the Pentagon this morning, and heeding REM's advice not to go back to Rockville.

Last edited: January 24, 2008 01:21 PM

tomhamilton : January 25, 2008 08:19 AM

I was recently denied Climax, NC. The townsfolk as still fans of the Bulldogs.

Last edited: January 28, 2008 01:23 PM

Swampudlian : January 25, 2008 11:13 AM

I passed through Climax, MI... There was no team there to challenge, and I didn't get the message that the citizens of Climax became my fans. However, the inhabitants of Colon (a nearby town to Climax... draw your own conclusions) are unabashedly in the camp of the Tree Huggers.

Ford Fricks Asterisk : January 25, 2008 04:03 PM

Note to self: Stop posting as Flem Snopes (or at least bring out your Southern draw if you have to).

Whiskeytown spends one more day travelling around Baltimore... it's too bad the Charm City Nuns haven't come out of exile to join the game. No new fans, but the Loserings beat the '69 Orioles in a scrimmage, 7-4, taking the lead in the 8th with back-to-back homers from Matt Stairs and Jason Thompson. Tomorrow the team will have to stop for lunch in Linthicum Heights for some G&M crab cakes.

Flem never did all that well with arithmetic, so the Yellow Hammers' ran their Winton Flyers to empty in Simms, Texas... they had to sell one for a horse to reach nearest station 12 miles away... and took the rest of the afternoon off. They'll head on towards Dallas in the morning to see if they can find a local team of Romosexuals to scrimmage against.

# of edits: 3
Last edited: January 25, 2008 04:08 PM

Flem Snopes : January 27, 2008 12:51 PM

Not a good couple of days for the Loserings and the Yellow Hammers. Whiskeytown ran into the most bad-tempered rodents they ever set eyes on, losing to the Killer Rabbits, 9-6. They took a 6-5 lead into the 9th before Bill Lee gave up a 4-run rally thanks largely to doubles from Jerry Lynch and the ugliest catcher alive Ron Karkovice.

Then Carl Hubbell acted as the Rippers' meal ticket, giving up 7 runs in the last two innings of 9-1 loss for Yoknapatawpha. Flem wasn't surprised by the one run effort, but thought he at least had a good pitching staff... never underestimate the wrath of Benji Gil.

Obviously, I need the bullpen to be put into action.

Swampudlian : January 27, 2008 05:11 PM

I gotta wonder... Does a team need to do anything special to accept a challenge from another team? The Livonia Lemon Drops have been waiting to make their attempt to claim Clinton and Morenci for a while now... And now there's a couple more Lemon Drops/Tree Huggers matchups up there as well. I wouldn't want to be delaying those, either.

I had my team haul ass back to Morenci from portions of northern Ohio between Toledo and Cleveland, but then it occurred to me that that might not have been necessary, and maybe there was something else I was missing...

Ford Fricks Asterisk : January 27, 2008 08:22 PM

If your question is "can my team magically be in two places at once?", the answer is yes. The challenges I've accepted so far have been nearby anyway, but I've noticed it doesn't relocate the team or count against my moves or mileage.

franco : January 28, 2008 08:02 AM

To accept a challenge, just click the accept link on the My Challenges page. No moving is required at all.

Franco

Swampudlian : January 28, 2008 09:23 AM

>>To accept a challenge, just click the accept link on the My Challenges page.<<

Dude, I don't see one. It just shows "Pending" in the results column... Nothing on the left, across the top... I'm pretty sure I've looked everywhere for an "accept" link...

Swampudlian : January 28, 2008 09:28 AM

One more thing... On the first page after I click the Barnstorming icon off the home page, it tells me "Challenges you haven't accepted: 0"

tomhamilton : January 28, 2008 09:31 AM

So your page doesn't look like this:

http://www.thetoolsofignorance.com/img/challenges.jpg

Swampudlian : January 28, 2008 09:57 AM

Nope.

Where your page shows "Accept" and Days (remaining in which to accept it, I take it?), I've got a green "Pending" link.

If someone wants my login/password to investigate, I'd gladly share it with you by e-mail... Just e-mail to (the same as my screen name here) at gmail dot com.

franco : January 28, 2008 10:00 AM

Swampudlian,

I just signed in as you, and this is the My Challenges page that I got:

http://www.thetoolsofignorance.com/img/challenges2.jpg
http://www.thetoolsofignorance.com/img/challenges2.jpg

What browser are you using? Do you have in extensions installed?

Last edited: January 28, 2008 10:00 AM

Swampudlian : January 28, 2008 10:05 AM

Using Firefox... Let me check the version... 2.0.0.11

"Extensions installed"? I'm usually in the category of "knows more than the average person", but also "knows just enough to be dangerous" when it comes to computers. If you can send me to a web page to download something or else recommend I switch to IE (hack! ptui!), I'm willing to listen...

franco : January 28, 2008 10:09 AM

I would never recommend IE. I use Firefox (2.0.0.11) exclusively so that can't be the problem. In Firefox, go to Tools -> Add-ons and see what is installed under extensions. I'm hoping that something in there is causing the problem. Otherwise, I really have no idea why your not getting links and everyone else is. Very weird...

Swampudlian : January 28, 2008 10:31 AM

DOM Inspector 1.8.1.11 ("Inspects the structure and properties of a window and its contents")

Polski slownek poprawnej pisowni 1.0.20070508 (I'm of Polish descent, so I may have told it to add on Polish language once just for shits and giggles)

Talkback 2.0.0.11 ("Sends information about program crashes to Mozilla")

United States English Dictionary 2.0.0.6 (Spell-checking dictionary)

Yahoo! Photos Easy Upload Tool 2007.6.18 (which I never use)

Yahoo! Toolbar 1.4.1.20070629 (which I also never use)

franco : January 28, 2008 10:56 AM

I was able to duplicate your problem. I installed the Yahoo Tool Bar but everything still worked fine. Then I went to Tools->Options->Privacy and I set it to accept cookies until I closed Firefox. That made my links go away, just like you are describing. After I uninstalled the Yahoo Tool Bar, I left the cookie setting as it was and the links came back. Therefore, it appears to be a bug in the Yahoo Tool Bar that is triggered by that cookie setting.

I would try uninstalling the Yahoo Tool Bar and see if that fixes it. If not, you may want to change Firefox to accept cookies until they expire. If you don't want to permanently make that big of a change, adding www.thetoolsofignorance.com to the exceptions list may work, too.

I hope this helps.

Swampudlian : January 28, 2008 11:10 AM

Damn it... Dumped Yahoo Toolbar and also the Photo EZ Upload thing... I even disabled the Polish language thing. Also fiddled with the privacy settings (which had been on "until they expire", by the way), and still can't get it to come up correctly...

Swampudlian : January 28, 2008 11:13 AM

Have you been able to re-create where it says that there are no challenges that I haven't accepted?

Swampudlian : January 28, 2008 11:17 AM

I'm currently trying it in IE, and it still isn't working...

P.S.: I can't edit my posts on the forum, either. I think we had a brief back-and-forth about that several months ago, at least.

franco : January 28, 2008 12:03 PM

Yes, when the links disappeared it also showed that you had no challenges waiting to be accepted. That was because the browser wasn't sending complete cookies back to the server.

The site uses cookies to determine who you are and somehow it isn't getting the info back from your computer. Do you have any other programs that may be interfering with the cookies? Since it is happening in both browsers, it could be something like Norton Internet Security, McAfee, etc. Do you have any security software running that may be getting a little overzealous with what it is blocking?

Franco

Swampudlian : January 28, 2008 12:12 PM

It's a work computer, so there might be a firewall issue (and I won't be raising my hand to ask a question on this any time soon)... Although, I have to say, I tried it over the weekend on my home machine and got the same results, so there ya go. (I'll try to make an attempt from my home machine tonight and let you know.)

While we're at it, is there a built-in bias of some kind for the home team? Since I can't seem to accept a challenge to get a home game, I'm hoping this explains my team's lousy record, as I'm 2-6, but all in road games.

Swampudlian : January 28, 2008 12:12 PM

Well, 2-7, but who's counting?

franco : January 28, 2008 12:17 PM

Yes, there is a small home team advantage. While testing it with two identical teams, the home team won 53% of the games. This is to encourage teams to accept challenges and not just "sit" on their fans.

Swampudlian : January 28, 2008 12:32 PM

Damn, just 3%.... Maybe the Tree Huggers really do suck after all.

franco : January 28, 2008 12:57 PM

One more thing you can check, if you want:

Go to Tools->Option and on the Privacy screen click Show Cookies. Search for thetoolsofignorance.com and highlight cookpass. In the bottom half of the window there will be info on the cookpass cookie. The "Expires" field should have a date and time in it, not "At end of session". If it still says that it expires at the end of the session, check your cookie setting again.

While typing this post up, I noticed something new: When I sign in as "franco" everything is fine. When I sign in as "Franco" I get the same results as you. That looks like a bug on my part so until I track it down, try capitalizing your screen name when you sign in, if you don't already. If you do, then don't. Let me know if this works for you.

Swampudlian : January 28, 2008 02:22 PM

Bang, that's it.

Must've capitalized the "S" when I first registered, then switched to small "s" at some point. But I only went 2-2 in my "home" games, so maybe my team does suck after all.

P.S. The "edit" link now shows on here, as well.

Thanks for being so patient and chasing this down.

I really do like the Barnstorming concept.

Ford Fricks Asterisk : January 28, 2008 02:46 PM

Sometimes the editing eye works and sometimes it doesn't, eh Swampy?

Franco e-mailed me earlier about some stuff and at the end said that he hoped he had your problem figured out because you had "a lot of challenges just sitting there". I knew what he was saying, but that still struck me as hilarious. I think sometimes we all have a lot of challenges just sitting there.

Swampudlian : January 28, 2008 02:51 PM

Well, on them there Internets, capitalization (usually) isn't as important as in some other places...

Believe me, I'd like to just sit there for a while... Life has been way too busy lately. Had an inkling over the weekend to log out and create a new persona, even had a 2nd team name picked out: "Pennsauken Pill Poppers", but didn't really get around to it.

jmmath24 : January 28, 2008 04:52 PM

I guess all good things must come to an end. The Bulldogs suffered there first loss today and there undefeated run has come to an end.

Swampudlian : January 30, 2008 09:41 AM

I'd like to proudly point out that the Pennsauken Pill Poppers have apparently been popping the little blue ones, as they managed to take both Intercourse and Paradise by storm (not sure why, but the ZIP for Intercourse is listed as "Unknown, PA", but make no mistake, that's Intercourse, baby) in the same day... Some might argue at the same time.

jcarwash31 : February 29, 2008 10:33 AM

It took 4 challengers before the Oostburg, WI fans were taken from the Thunder Bitches. After unsuccessful attempts from the Kennard Killers, Mighty Minnows, and the Yellow Hammers, the Whiskeytown Loserings managed to stave off a 9th inning threat to defeat the Thunder Bitches in Oostburg.

Minneapolis is dissapointed to be losing the Oostburg fans after putting together a 3-1 record there over the last 3 days.

haasdr : July 23, 2008 04:58 PM

The Payroll Processors won a 14-12 extra inning game after being down 9-0 after the first. Definitely the biggest come from behind win for us thus far.

haasdr : August 21, 2008 10:22 PM

diamond dust - i can't accept your challenge for 04071 as we won offered first, kicked my butt, and now owns the zip.

jimdandy : August 23, 2008 06:46 PM

i just got the same player someone else got 4 guys ago let's hope 1941 Newt Kimball is a good luck charm

Reply (You must be logged in)

Click here to log in