[TToI Online Game Support] Fresh start for 2009?
franco : December 23, 2008 03:43 PM

I received an e-mail from someone interested in starting the game over for 2009. I was planning on letting it continue as is, but if enough people are interested in starting fresh in 2009, I can easily clear the team's rosters, records, points, and zip codes and we start a whole new season.

Any opinions?

# of edits: 1
Last edited: December 23, 2008 03:43 PM

franco : December 23, 2008 03:49 PM

By the way, big changes are currently under way but I am still up in the air as to how to unveil them. I may incorporate them into the existing game. On the other hand, some of the changes are pretty big and it may work better as a separate game... Barnstorming: The Next Generation, if you will. I expect to have the new version finished just in time for spring training.

# of edits: 1
Last edited: December 23, 2008 03:49 PM

busybusybusy : December 23, 2008 10:28 PM

would your fans be reset also if so there would be nothing to do until reset right

haasdr : December 24, 2008 09:23 AM

i'd be good w/ a reset, or not. i'm happy to do what the consensus wants.

qazerbb : December 25, 2008 04:08 PM

how about the credits they would carry over ?

Ford Fricks Asterisk : December 30, 2008 04:17 PM

I'd prefer not to have a complete reset of things. If that happens when v2.0 is unveiled, I have no problem with it (and if that's going to be the case in April, why bother with a new 3 month "season"?), but I've been operating my team pretty much every single day since January, so while I'd be fine with setting a few things back to zero, a lot of it would seem pointless to me.

For one, it's taken almost a full year to get the roster that I have now... if I want to start another roster from scratch, I can enter another e-mail address/identity and start a new team. Also, I already know where to find so many things, I'd see it as mostly a waste of time to have to go acquire those same things again (guess I should have been more diligent in doing that cheat sheet I had started).

If we were to start from scratch again each year, then we might as well adopt a loose "season" format (I say loose, because obviously the whole format of the game works against set schedules). In short, if we're going to restart, I'd request some sort of tournament/playoff first... something like a double-elimination invitational... top 8 teams with 100+ games played or something like that. As well as preserving yearly records. I'm not really endorsing that, but if we're going to break the game down into "season" segments, then I think we should go whole hog on the competition side of the game, so that those who are showing up everyday have something more to play for... and this would probably require hammering out some future loop holes.

Anyway, I will be away from the computer for the first several days of the new year... but I still really enjoy the game, so if (some) things are reset when I get back, I won't complain too much. As Franco knows, I'm in it for the long haul.

munson : December 30, 2008 06:31 PM

i agree with ford i haven't done anything for the last week because of not knowing whats going to happen

franco : December 30, 2008 08:33 PM

I am going to leave the game as is and you can continue to play it forever, or until we piss off my web hosting provider, whichever comes first. I do plan on having Barnstorming 2.0 finished in the upcoming months. That will be a separate stand-alone game with a different format and rules. So you can have separate teams in either game format or both.

Franco

bluestreak : January 4, 2009 02:49 PM

Just to add my 2 cents..
I have a couple different teams in the current barnstorm game and would love to see it reset with a new season. I am getting to the point where my teams are not changing much - only about 1 in 20 FA's (and that's probably too high) are equal to my current players. It would be pretty easy for everyone to go through their discovery lists and be sure to keep them noted for the following season. It would also give everyone an equal footing to begin with - as opposed to the current format where various people joined over the course of the year giving those that were there from the beginning, such as FFA, an unfair advantage. I think it would be an interesting twist to restart everyone spread out over the US with a fresh opportunity to gain credits from previously undiscovered zip codes.

I will likely continue to play the game under the current format, but just wanted to add a different opinion to the discussion.

Killer Rabbits...

biggie pharma : January 6, 2009 08:47 AM

I hadn't noticed this discussion at all... I tend to agree with the others... If there's a v2.0 that's right around the corner, why bother. Besides, I think a "reset" that occurs coincidentally to either Spring Training and/or Opening Day makes more sense than the calendar New Year's Day. As a friend of mine says, "New Year's Day is the first Monday in April, despite ESPN's efforts to move it to the Sunday night before that."

jcarwash31 : January 14, 2009 01:36 PM

I was just thinking a little bit about the "season" format. This would require a signup date, but couldn't you create a schedule of games to be played as a season and use the barnstorming format as a way to improve your team and grow a fan base? You could divide teams up into leagues and set a schedule for each league (maybe even some inter-league games) and at the end of the season the league champions are entered in a tournament to crown the Barnstorming Champion. The barnstorming format could function exactly as it does already, regardless of league, including tournaments. Then, I suppose, teams that signup mid-season could participate in barnstorming until the next season opens.

Just some thoughts I had. You can chew on them if you want.

Reply (You must be logged in)

Click here to log in