[Baseball History] All-Time Team Rosters (Non-Hall of Fame Edition)
nearlygod : February 15, 2008 09:59 AM

I was discussing baseball with a coworker and the topic turned to players who were really good but not quite Hall of Famers. Since he's a Red Sox fan, we came up with an all-time roster of of the best non-Hall of Famers in Red Sox history. Most of these are his choices:

C: Jason Varitek
1B: Mo Vaughn
2B: Pete Runnels
SS: Nomar Garciaparra
3B: Frank Malzone
LF: Jim Rice
CF: Fred Lynn
RF: Dwight Evans
DH: David Ortiz (assuming he won't be a Hall of Famer)

RHP: Joe Wood
LHP: Bill Lee
CP: Dick Radatz

We left off players who will probably be in the Hall of Fame eventually, like Pedro, Clemens, and Manny.

I'll try to come up with a Rangers team eventually.

Flem Snopes : February 15, 2008 10:44 AM

I'd have gone either Rico Petrocelli or Johnny Pesky at 3B, even though they both spent half their time at SS. I guess Dom DiMaggio settles for 4th outfielder. He had the longer career in Boston, but Lynn was certainly the better of the two in their peak years and that peak came while he was in Boston.

Cleveland would be heavily represented by the teams from the '90s:

C: Victor Martinez
1B: Hal Trosky
2B: Carlos Baerga
SS: Omar Vizquel (Ray Chapman should O get in)
3B: Jim Thome (Al Rosen should Thome get in or consider him a stretch at 3B)
LF: Albert Belle
CF: Kenny Lofton
RF: Rocky Colavito
DH: Andre Thornton (could be Travis Hafner in another year or two)

RHP: Mel Harder
LHP: CC Sabathia (I think that's safe, but Sudden Sam McDowell if needed)
CP: Doug Jones (could be Mesa for peak or Wickman strictly based on saves)

Worth considering: Charlie Jamieson (OF), Ken Keltner (3B), Sandy Alomar, Jr (C), Joe Carter (OF), Julio Franco (2B), Bobby Avila (2B), Mike Garcia (RHP), Luis Tiant (RHP), George Uhle (RHP).

Not in HoF, but not because he wasn't good enough: Joe Jackson (OF).

# of edits: 3
Last edited: February 15, 2008 02:22 PM

tomhamilton : February 15, 2008 01:31 PM

If Omar makes the HoF then I would take Julio at SS. I was about to state my case for Franco over Baerga but since he spent more time at shortstop with the Tribe, I'll spare everyone the details... even though he truly was better than Baerga.

Swampudlian : February 15, 2008 01:41 PM

Tigers (hell, enough for a 2nd team, frankly):

C: Bill Freehan (Lance Parrish a close second)
1B: Darrell Evans (Norm Cash)
2B: Lou Whitaker (Dick McAuliffe)
SS: Alan Trammell (Billy Rogell if the gods ever smile on Tram... Harvey Kuenn is the 2nd teamer, should Tram make it)
3B: Eddie Yost (Travis Fryman)
LF: Bobby Veach (Fats Fothergill)
CF: Chet Lemon (Jo-Jo White, or Mickey Stanley in the "if they can elect Ozzie Smith" category)
RF: Magglio Ordonez (Willie Horton)
DH: Cecil Fielder (Gregg Jefferies -- just kidding)
Everywhere: Tony Phillips

SP-RH: Jack Morris (Denny McLain (peak))
SP-LH: Mickey Lolich (Frank Tanana)
Closer: Well, Todd Jones is the all-time saves leader... But I think Mike Henneman had a better overall career, at least the Tiger portion of his career. Willie Hernandez had a very short peak, but what a peak it was.

Special dispensation: Mark Fidrych

Honorable mention: Since I did an entire second team, I think I've pretty much decimated the honorable mention...

tomhamilton : February 15, 2008 01:58 PM

I would also put Rocky Colavito in RF over Joe Jackson since our goal was players who weren't quite good enough to make the hall. That's not the reason that Shoeless Joe isn't there. In addition, Colavito had a larger role in Cleveland's history, even if it was of supernatural originals.

Ford Fricks Asterisk : February 15, 2008 02:20 PM

Yeah, Colavito was a dumb oversight on my part. Considering that Jackson misses the HoF on a technicality, I'll go back and change that to Colavito.

I can't put Julio in the starting lineup, though. Omar would definitely get the nod at short unless he does make the HoF (and I think he's going to be disrespected simply because of Ozzie Smith already being in the HoF).

No doubt Julio was a better player than Baerga, but I was looking at it as what they did while they were in Cleveland. Baerga was a 3 time All-Star, won 2 Silver Sluggers, and finished just outside the Top 10 in MVP voting twice. He also had an OPS+ of 105 or better in all 5 full seasons in Cleveland. Julio was runner-up for Rookie of the Year and won one Silver Slugger. His OPS+ topped 105 3 times in 6 full seasons. Not to mention, the problem with Julio only playing 2B for one season in Cleveland. He would make the perfect candidate for a third middle infielder, though.

Reply (You must be logged in)

Click here to log in